comments on newfs raw disk ? Safe ? (7 terabyte array)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Feb 13 20:24:02 UTC 2007

John Kozubik wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > That's not what I wrote.  I wrote that they _had_ issues,
 > > and that I do not know if they have been fixed.  I don't
 > > recall any reports of problems recently (i.e. in the past
 > > few months), and there are no open PRs that seem to relate
 > > to the current code, so those issues may very well have
 > > been fixed.  It's just my personal paranoia that lets me
 > > disable bg fsck on my machines (and I don't really need
 > > bg fsck anyway).
 >
 > Fair enough.  For your information, they are still dangerous and
 > unstable[1][2][3].

Well, lets see ...  [1] is from January 2006, applies to
6.0-RELEASE and has zero follow-ups.  [2] is from July
2004 and was closed in May 2005 because it wasn't
reproducible with the new compiler and no more feedback
from the submitter was provided.  [3] doesn't link to
any PR or other information.

 > Your initial assessment is still valid today,
 > unfortunately.  FWIW, [1] is open and relates to the current code.

It says 6.0-RELEASE.  FreeBSD 6 might have been "-current"
at that time, but it's hardly current today.  :-)

 > [1] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2006-January/016703.html
 > [2] http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-bugs/2004-July/007574.html
 > [3] [2, above] has been fixed, but large quantity inode movements keep
 >     coming back to haunt snapshots every other release or so...

In that case a new PR should be opened, I think.

Best regards
   Oliver

Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

"I learned Java 3 years before Python.  It was my language of
choice.  It took me two weekends with Python before I was more
productive with it than with Java." -- Anthony Roberts