comments on newfs raw disk ? Safe ? (7 terabyte array)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Feb 13 18:21:06 UTC 2007

John Kozubik wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Randy Bush wrote:
 > > > this has been a wonderfully well-timed thread as i am about
 > > > to hack a 4tb array tomorrow afternoon.  the normal spindle
 > > > is separate and partitioned to death and newfsed using the
 > > > defaults.  with 2gb of ram, i figure 6gb swap just in case
 > > > two userland hogs are running at once, e.g. some hog while
 > > > background fsck is running.
 > >
 > > A bit careful here ...  Background fsck had some issues,
 > > especially when the machine crashed or is otherwise reset
 > > while the background fsck is still running.  It resulted
 > > in corruption that could not be repaired by fsck anymore.
 > > I don't know if all of those issues have been resolved in
 > > RELENG_6, but personally I always disable background fsck
 > > on all of my machines, just to be safe.
 >
 > [...]
 > UFS2 snapshots are dangerous and unstable,
 > and have been since their introduction in 5.x [2].

That's not what I wrote.  I wrote that they _had_ issues,
and that I do not know if they have been fixed.  I don't
recall any reports of problems recently (i.e. in the past
few months), and there are no open PRs that seem to relate
to the current code, so those issues may very well have
been fixed.  It's just my personal paranoia that lets me
disable bg fsck on my machines (and I don't really need
bg fsck anyway).

You have to be very careful with what you claim, or people
might accuse you of spreading FUD.

Best regards
   Oliver

Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."
        -- Doug Gwyn