UFS2 with SAN

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue Feb 13 17:16:40 UTC 2007

Chris Haulmark wrote:
 > If your responses on this SAN thread would not be productive, please
 > stay out.  I am not interested to hear lectures about what is impossible.

But maybe others are interested to hear that information.

And you already got the answer, see Eric's mail.  He wrote:

  |  This will result it the read/write system seeing the data ok,
  |  and the rest getting corrupt data without knowing it, and
  |  probably crashing.  UFS2 is not cluster aware.

Eric is right.  For UFS to be cluster-aware, it would need
to implement a cache-coherency protocol, so every node
knows what data is up-to-date and what data is stale.
UFS doesn't do that at all because it was designed as a
local-only file system.

The only way it would work is to mount _all_ of the nodes
read-only.  When you need to update data, you must remount
the file system read-write on one node _and_ unmount it on
all other nodes.  I don't think that you want to do that,
though.

Best regards
   Oliver

Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."
        -- Doug Gwyn