comments on newfs raw disk ? Safe ? (7 terabyte array)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Feb 12 16:53:28 UTC 2007

Randy Bush wrote:
 > this thread has been great.  but i suspect it would be greatly
 > appreciated if the handbook had a page "How to format and use
 > multi-terabyte drives, facts, trade-offs, and recipies."

That would indeed be great.  Unfortunately I have other
battle fields right now (fighting against sysinstall and
loader code, among other things), so I have zero time to
write a Handbook chapter from scratch.  I'm also probably
not that authoritative; there are people who are more
knowledgable about UFS/UFS2.

However, that whole issue -- formatting multi-TB FS -- is
very much a moving target, especially right now that the
new gjournal code is entering the arena.  It will change
quite a lot of things, and the recommandations will be
different.  You'll probably have to rewrite half of the
chapter.

With that in mind, maybe it makes more sense to wait a
little bit until gjournal has matured some more an has
officially hit the RELENG_6 branch.  I don't think it will
take long; the code has already proven quite stable.

Best regards
   Oliver

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, USt-Id: DE204219783
Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

"In My Egoistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt."
        -- Blair P. Houghton