comments on newfs raw disk ? Safe ? (7 terabyte array)

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Feb 12 16:16:19 UTC 2007

I'm sorry I made a small mistake ...

Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > Arone Silimantia wrote:
 > > Ok, I will look into this.  My data population uses a little less
 > > than 5 million inodes per TB, so this may be workable to tune.  So I
 > > see the default is '4' - so I could run newfs with:
 >
 > The default is 4096 (one inode per 4 KB).

The default is 4 * fragsize, and the default fragsize is
2 KB, so the default bytes-per-inode ratio is 8 KB, not 4.

(Historically the default UFS fragsize was 1 KB with a
blocksize of 8 KB, so the default ratio was indeed 4 KB
per inode.  But that was changed quite some years ago.)

Best regards
   Oliver

Handelsregister: Registergericht Muenchen, HRA 74606, USt-Id: DE204219783
Any opinions expressed in this message are personal to the author and may
not necessarily reflect the opinions of secnetix GmbH & Co KG in any way.

With Perl you can manipulate text, interact with programs, talk over
networks, drive Web pages, perform arbitrary precision arithmetic,
and write programs that look like Snoopy swearing.