Call for tester! vptofh change.

Kirk McKusick mckusick at mckusick.com
Sat Feb 3 20:57:57 UTC 2007

I fully approve of your changing VFS_VPTOFH to being a VOP operation.
I also agree that VFS_VPTOFH should go away. Though extra work as
you note, it is important `infrastructure work' to keep the interface
clean.

I wanted to make VPTOFH a VOP operation when I first added the VFS
interface to BSD, but was pursuaded not to do so because Sun had
done it as a VFS operation.  The idea was to make our VFS interface
as compatible to Sun's as possible because many of the BSD vendors
replaced our NFS implementation with Sun's and wanted to minimize
the work.

	Kirk McKusick