forcing a permanent "time" optimization with tunefs ?

Juri Mianovich juri_mian at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 30 07:41:37 PDT 2007

--- Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des at des.no> wrote:

> Juri Mianovich <juri_mian at yahoo.com> writes:
> > I would like it to be optimized for "time"
> instead, but when I do
> > this, it almost immediately reverts back to
> "space" (with a message
> > that a filesystem with less than 8% minfree should
> be optimized for
> > space)
> >
> > But let's pretend I know better ... and I really
> do want to optimize
> > it for time - is there any way to force a
> permanent optimization for
> > "time" ?
>
> Sure, raise minfree back to 8%.

Thanks - very helpful of you.

Your annoying, useless answer aside, for the sake of
the archives I will note that 6% is the magic number,
below which the kernel will not respect your switch to
"time" optimization, but at which it will.

You will still receive a warning:

tunefs: should optimize for space with minfree < 8%

but the time optimization setting will stick, as long
as you have at least 6% minfree.  This is documented
in the tunefs man page, in fact.

The answer to my original question "can I force time
optimization if I am below 6%" appears to be "no".
You can successfully set optimization to time, but the
kernel will always (almost immediately) switch it back
to space optimization.