Xsan (Apple) on FreeBSD

Robert Watson rwatson at FreeBSD.org
Sat Aug 18 05:26:43 PDT 2007

On Wed, 1 Aug 2007, Jeff Mohler wrote:

> Im yet to hear of a large Xsan install that stayed Xsan once it grew.
>
> Most, if not all, have gone to netapp or umm..Isilon (spelling) that ive
> been close to.  Latest large dump of Xsan that I know of was Current TV in
> San Francisco, for Isilon.
>
> Beware the hype of Xsan, its a money pit.
>
> Then ask em how long it all comes to a halt when a disk fails.

Catching up on an aging thread here -- as far as I know, the XSan parts from
Mac OS X are closed source, so while you can access XSan storage using
whatever distributed file systems Apple supports (NFS, CIFS?), you can't use
FreeBSD to directly access the storage area network.  This is probably fine.

You'll be interested to know, if you don't already, that both NetApp and
Isilon use FreeBSD as the foundation OS for their products.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge