vfs.ufs.dirhash_maxmem ... how high can I go ?

Rick C. Petty rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com
Fri Aug 17 15:51:05 PDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 02:29:07PM +0200, Dag-Erling Sm??rgrav wrote:
> "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd at kiwi-computer.com> writes:
> > Gore Jarold <gore_jarold at yahoo.com> writes:
> > > I have 4 GB of physical and 4 GB of swap, running on normal 32-bit
> > > x86, and I have this set as well:
> > Which means (on an x86 system) that you have 3 GB of physical RAM.
>
> No, it means has 4 GB of physical RAM, of which 3.5 GB are addressable.

I've never seen FreeBSD address more than 3.0 GB of RAM without PAE..  it
always seems to reserve 1.0 GB for video & other mmap'd I/O.

I've tried this in systems with 4 MB video cards and most devices disabled.
I thought you had to tweak some sysctl in freebsd to force the kernel not
to map that last 1 GB.

-- Rick C. Petty