help needed - tuning a filesystem for rm and cp ? (more details)

Gore Jarold gore_jarold at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 14 14:47:18 PDT 2007

> > Here is a question for any and all out there
reading
> > ... what would you expect would happen to a system
> > that was constantly maxing out this value,
sometimes
> > on a sustained basis, while the activity that
caused
> > it went on uninterrupted ?
> >
> > I am seeing the system halt ... is it reasonable
> > think that maxing that value out on a regular,
> > sustained basis would cause a system to halt ?
> >
> > (6.2-release running on a 4 GB memory p4 xeon ...
does
> > nothing but fileserver duties)
>

> If you have a lot of meta-data IO (which you seem to
have), then it's
> possible that the system is incredibly busy doing
disk accesses, and
> waiting on IO from storage.  When you say 'halt'
does that mean you
> can't log in to it, and eventually it comes back
alive, or does that
> mean it is locked up in a way that never recovers?

I never wait around to find out it it comes back ...

It no longer responds to pings, so I assume it is
actually crashed.

Also, it should be noted that this system (and its
large, >4TB filesystem) has quotas enabled.

So perhaps a better question would be:

Any comments on frequent, sustained maxing out of
dirhash on a quota'd filesystem ?