unionfs problem

Daichi GOTO daichi at freebsd.org
Fri Aug 10 01:13:58 PDT 2007

nowickis wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm having problems using unionfs on freebsd.
> Scenario is like this: On one machine (m1) I’m having /usr/ports dir with is updated every day.
> On another machine (m2) I’m mounting /usr/ports from m1 by nfs to /usr/ports on m2.
> Of course on m2 /usr/ports is read-only. So, I was starting to using unionfs on m2.
> I have create dir (/tmp/somedir) and use unionfs as root mount_unionfs /tmp/somedir /usr/ports For now everything works fine,
> I have writing privileges to /use/ports on m2.
> I'm mono (http://www.go-mono.com) user, so I want to install the latest version of this port.
> I need to use mono-merge script (which you can get from http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/project/?bsd-sharp) to merge mono
> ports tree witch /usr/ports tree. (this is the way do get the latest version of mono’s ports).
> When I run this script, after couple of seconds, my machine (m2) is freezing, completely no response.
> Only what I can do is reset it. This freezing is occurring when mono-merge is recursion deleting some folders
> in /usr/ports. Of course, then when /use/ports is on local machine (no mounted) mono-merge works fine.
> This problem is occurring on freebsd 6.2 and 7.0. I have try traditional, transparent and masquerade mode. Result is the same.
> Do you have any idea what I’m doing wrong?
> Maybe there is a bug in unionfs.
>
> Regards
>
> Nowicki Sebastian

After long-long tests, at last, we had found the same problem you
reported.  Our research says that the issue depends on implementation
bug of nfs_readdir of nfsclient or nfs4client. (for detail, it ignores
eofflag request).

I include a patch that prevent that issue. Would you try please.

And we haveno plan to get it merged because this issue is not of
unionfs. It should be fixed on nfs_readdir of nfsclient. Thanks

--
   Daichi GOTO, http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi