Xsan (Apple) on FreeBSD

Patrick Tracanelli eksffa at freebsdbrasil.com.br
Sun Aug 5 11:25:07 PDT 2007

>> I'd love to learn more about OneFS and the FreeBSD integration from
>> someone at Isilon.  It's a great success story that would be great to
>> boast about on the FreeBSD website.
>
> I have contacted Isilon regarding FreeBSD usage and possibilities. If I
> hear good news from someone there, maybe it is a conversation to start
> on advocacy at .
>

>> Eric

Just am update to this thread, Isilon people have contacted me back
mentioning network file system access was the way to go right now, but a
shared file system was on the plans. Now, today, I just found from a
Seattle Post newspaper link something I really liked to see, a Job
opportunity for FreeBSD developers aiming exactly this matter. And with
a very, very promissing description:

(reproducing)

Software Engineer - FreeBSD Kernel Developer
Tracking Code
2007136
Job Description

Isilon Systems is the Leader in Clustered Storage. Each node in an
Isilon Cluster runs an operating system based on FreeBSD. We're looking
for FreeBSD Kernel Developers to join our team and build our technology
in various areas:

Requirements:

     * Geom, disks and disk scheduling
     * FreeBSD's TCP/IP stack
     * Client protocols (NFS/CIFS)
     * OFED/Infiniband
     * FreeBSD's UMA allocator
     * FreeBSD's VFS
     * Everything else you can imagine a distributed filesystem might need!

The ideal candidate:

     * has more than 5 years of development, with at least two years
working on a BSD kernel
     * has great team skills and likes to work hard and have fun
     * has a bachelor's degree in a science or mathematics
     * is a FreeBSD kernel committer

Responsibilities include coding, debugging, shipping, maintaining and
documenting products. In addition, a kernel committer will act as
liaison with the FreeBSD project to commit useful Isilon technologies
back to FreeBSD. FreeBSD has been a great choice for Isilon. Help us
give back the things that we've improved over the years! Come find out
about jobs at isilon!!

A non-disclosure agreement must be signed prior to an interview.

Isilon Systems is an equal opportunity employer.

Relocation Available
Job Location
Seattle, WA, US.
Position Type
Full-Time/Regular

(end reproducing)

The (huge) link:

http://hostedjobs.openhire.com/epostings/jobs/submit.cfm?fuseaction=dspjob&jobid=189932&company_id=15714&version=1&source=ONLINE&jobOwner=977329&aid=1

The very promissing sentence, in my understading:

"In addition, a kernel committer will act as liaison with the FreeBSD
project to commit useful Isilon technologies back to FreeBSD. FreeBSD
has been a great choice for Isilon. Help us give back the things that
we've improved over the years! Come find out about jobs at isilon!!"

So, now I hope we will read more precise information about development
on a shared file system on FreeBSD on the next quarterly report :)

I hope interested commiters have already seen this job call.

--
Patrick Tracanelli