Xsan (Apple) on FreeBSD

Rick Macklem rmacklem at uoguelph.ca
Thu Aug 2 07:13:43 PDT 2007

On Thu, 2 Aug 2007, Patrick Tracanelli wrote:

> BTW, what about NFS4? Is performance improvement a goal, or just
> security/kerberos/auth stuff? I have been running NFS4 with gssd, which shall
> decrease performance. Ill do some benching without gssd comparing to NFS3.

There is a feature (Delegations) in NFSv4 that I think will help a lot
w.r.t. performance (it essentially gives a client exclusive rights to a
file). However, to the best of my knowledge, none of the extant clients
are using it effectively. (Solaris10 shipped with minimal delegation
support.)

I am just testing Delegation stuff, so I should know soon how much it
helps performance. But a production quality implementation of NFSv4
with delegations (client side) isn't out there at this point, from
what I know.

rick