NanoBSD with ZFS

oschonef at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de oschonef at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Fri Apr 27 17:02:02 UTC 2007

Hello Pawel,

Eines schoenen Tages schrieb Pawel Jakub Dawidek:
> On Wed, Apr 25, 2007 at 01:05:58PM +0200, oschonef at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de wrote:
> > I'm currently experimenting with NanoBSD and want to integrate ZFS.
> > Unfortunatly ZFS maintains the zpool.cache in /boot/zfs, but the filesystem
> > is mounted read-only and this file cannot be written or changed.
> > Would it be possible to add a tunable or sysctl to ZFS, which allows
> > to specify the location of the zpool.cache file?
[..]

> Creating a symlink /boot/zfs/zpool.cache -> /etc/zfs/zpool.cache doesn't
> help?

Unfortunatly not! "zpool create" tries to write to /boot/zfs/.zpool.cache
(possibly a temporary) which cannot be written. If I symlink
/boot/zfs/.zpool.cache -> /etc/zfs/.zpool.cache, I end up with the
cache being written to /etc/zfs/.zpool.cache. This file however is then not
copied or moved to /etc/zfs/zpool.cache, but of the symlinks.
If I link /boot/zfs/.zpool.cache to /etc/zfs/zpool.cache, the file is
populated.
After a reboot however the file, which was copied there by the rc.initdiskless,
seems not to containt, what zfs expects, since the filesystems are not
mounted and I need to import the pool by hand.

Best Regards,
Oliver