NanoBSD with ZFS

oschonef at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de oschonef at techfak.uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Apr 25 11:33:55 UTC 2007

Hello Pawel, Hello List,

first of all kudos to Pawel for Portinmg ZFS to FreeBSD. Thanks a lot :)

I'm currently experimenting with NanoBSD and want to integrate ZFS.
Unfortunatly ZFS maintains the zpool.cache in /boot/zfs, but the filesystem
is mounted read-only and this file cannot be written or changed.
Would it be possible to add a tunable or sysctl to ZFS, which allows
to specify the location of the zpool.cache file?
I could, for example, tell ZFS, it should maintain the file in /etc/zfs
(which is writeable in NanoBSD). Surly I have to safe the zpool.cache file to
a safe location during shutdown, but this is out of ZFS's scope and can be
archived using customized shutdown scripts in NanoBSD.

Best Regards,
Oliver