The root file system?

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Tue Apr 24 11:42:49 UTC 2007

Ivan Voras <ivoras at fer.hr> writes:
> Since SoftUpdates were introduced, the default file system variation
> for the root file system has been the "default" UFS (noasync).

The reason for this was that if you the root file system was low on
space, the delay between VOP_UNLINK and actual space being reclaimed
when running with soft- updates could cause 'make installworld' or
'make installkernel' to fail.  When softupdates were first introduced,
the default size for the root file system in sysinstall was 32 MB.

I don't know if the delete / create race has been fixed, but the
default size for the root file system is now 256 MB, and a default
installation uses less than a quarter of it.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no