apparent filesystem-related hangs

Wes Morgan morganw at chemikals.org
Sun Apr 22 03:06:18 UTC 2007

I have several filesystems built on top of a gconcat volume consisting of
2 300gb and 1 500gb drive. The /usr partition constitutes the bulk of it.
The volume is sitting around 95% full, and twice I've had the system
become "hung" in what I believe are filesystem operations. It seems to
crop up when rtorrent tries to create files that would fill up the system,
but of course it doesn't actually reserve it until it is used. Any running
process remains responsive until it needs to access the disk.

The system was running a fairly recent 6.2-stable, March 29, but I've
since updated to the most recent -stable.

If anyone can give me some pointers as to how to tell exactly where these
processes are hanging, I can try to reproduce it... But it takes a while
to fsck the volume so I don't want to have to try too many things. If it's
not a known problem I can then submit a PR.

Thanks!