lazy mirror / live backup

Ollivier Robert roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Fri Apr 20 22:52:47 UTC 2007

According to Mike Wolman:
> The problem with zfs is you cannot layer it as u can with the geom
> classes.

Yes and no.  It is not as versatile as all geom classes I believe but on
FreeBSD it is a geom provider.

> For example if you want to create a failover zfs storage pool, if you make
> the zfs pool out of gmirror devices with one being a local device and the
> other being a ggatec device.  You would then have your zfs raidz pool
> replicated on a remote host.  I do not think you can do this with zfs by
> itself as you are not able to layer raidz pool ontop of a load of zfs
> mirrors.

On plain zfs yes, you can have that.

zpool create tank raidz mirror da0 da1 mirror da2 da3 mirror da4 da5.

(not tested)
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Darwin sidhe.keltia.net Kernel Version 8.8.2: Thu Sep 28 20:43:26 PDT 2006 i386