ZFS + replacing failing hard-drive.

Dag-Erling Smørgrav des at des.no
Thu Apr 19 08:25:36 UTC 2007

Ståle Kristoffersen <staalebk at ifi.uio.no> writes:
> On 2007-04-18 at 10:51, Rick C. Petty wrote:
> > On Wed, Apr 18, 2007 at 04:41:03PM +0200, St?le Kristoffersen wrote:
> > > Same problem on all. And to support my theory that the disk was bad the new
> > > disk does not behave badly, even after a zpool scrub.
> > That doesn't prove the disk was/is "bad".  [...]
> The drive was new a couple of weeks ago, and it gave me errors
> almost from the beginning.

Yes.  I have four brand new disks which are giving me DMA timeouts all
the time.

There seem to be bugs in (or in relation with) the ata driver which
have surfaced only recently.

Now that I think about it - could this be related to interrupt
filtering?  Piso?  If the ata driver is losing interrupts, it's no
wonder the transfers are timing out.

DES
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des at des.no