[ANN] unionfs patchset-16 release, it is ready for the merge

Jan Mikkelsen janm at transactionware.com
Tue Oct 10 19:42:32 PDT 2006

Daichi GOTO wrote:
> Danny Braniss wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Yeah, we have a new patchset to solve above problem I think.
>>
>> any chance that the new unionfs will make it to 6.2?
>
> We cannot merger unionfs patch to 6.x branch. It'll just only for
> -current. For 6.x patchset is just a patchset.

Getting it to 6-STABLE at some point would be very nice;  what is currently
there is unusable.

I have been using your patch successfully and I certainly don't see any
regressions.  The man pages make it clear that the subsystem will be subject
to change.

>> I'm using it, and it's working just fine - as opposed to the unusable
>> one supplied.
>
> For under some heavy situation with mount_nullfs, it has a problem since
> the lock mechanism. To solve that problem, we need a new API(function)
> for VFS. We are discussing about it and need vfs-hackers help.
> Sorry for my slow response :(

Even so, your patch works better than what is there.

>> If not, Daichi GOTO, will you have a new set of patches? union_vfsops.c
>> just changed, for example.
>> thanks,
>> danny
>
> uhmm...  you need a new patchset if it is under construction?

The patch at http://people.freebsd.org/~daichi/unionfs/unionfs6-p16.diff no
longer applies cleanly to 6-STABLE.  Where you have replaced complete files,
it might be worth just providing the new file.

Thank you for your work on this;  I find it very useful.

Regards,

Jan Mikkelsen