fsck crash: bad inode number to nextinode

Greg Eden greg at wholemeal.net
Fri Nov 24 01:31:26 PST 2006

Hello,

I'm try to recover a RAID5 volume which was badly corrupted when a
drive was removed during a rebuild. It contained about 1 TB of data
and was formatted with default values under FreeBSD 6.0-R.

I have used dd to image the drive onto another volume and am mounting
it with mdconfig so I can work on that an not cause futher damage.
However when I run fsck_ufs on the /dev/md0 partition it eventually
crashes out during Phase 1 with

UNKNOWN FILE TYPE I=42151497
UNEXPECTED SOFT UPDATE INCONSISTENCY

CLEAR? yes

fsck_ufs: bad inode number 42158080 to nextinode

Is it possible to work around this to get fsck to complete?

It is possible to mount the partition and some of the data is there,
however most of it is not.

Thanks in advance for any help. I have previously posted to freebsd-
questions without a response.

Greg Eden.