state of fs/udf

Andriy Gapon avg at icyb.net.ua
Wed May 24 06:18:00 PDT 2006

It seems that UDF fs has been in not-well-supported state for a while
now. It seems that Scott Long, original author and maintainer, has moved
on to other more important (and, perhaps, interesting) things.
("perhaps" - because RE does not seem to be too exciting on the first
glance)

Meanwhile, there are several bugs still opened for UDF. Some of them are
pretty obvious, some with good patches, some not so trivial, some
unhelpful and some are mine :-)
I think the following PRs are good candidates for review and possible
inclusion into source:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/77234
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/78987
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/92040
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/84983
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/90521
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/97786

Also, from our private conversations I know that Bruce Evans has even
more fixes for more problems and better fixes for some bugs described in
the above PRs. Those patches that I personally submitted do WorkForMe
(TM), but I think that Bruce has much better understanding of VFS stuff
and done much better job.

Would some committer be so kind to adopt UDF, review the PRs and fix at
least the most obvious bugs before 6.2 ?
I personally promise to help with testing and discussing things.

--
Andriy Gapon