Stress testing the UFS2 filesystem

Jason Arnaute non_secure at yahoo.com
Sat May 20 20:38:52 UTC 2006

--- Scott Long <scottl at samsco.org> wrote:

> Yes, you have a point that snapshots have been
> broken in
> the past.  A lot of work has been done recently to
> fix
> them, as well as quotas.  Your trollish digs only
> disrespect
> all the work being done, and they are not welcome
> here.

If I were complaining about some new feature, some
advanced new addition to FreeBSD, then I would have no
place here.  Setbacks and failures are part of any
project like this.  No arguments there.

But I am not complaining about some new feature, or
some cutting edge addition.  I am complaining that a
bedrock function of the filesystem that has existed in
UNIX and UNIX-like OS's for _decades_ now no longer
functions in FreeBSD (quotas).  I am complaining about
default functionality (snapshots) that was forced down
the throats of everyone (in the form of bg_fsck) over
two years ago that has _never worked_, and that 90% of
users have no idea of its presence or its
ramifications.

Go ask Joe sysadmin who just installed FreeBSD 6.1 as
his companies mailserver if he realizes what will
happen if he BG fscks a filesystem that has been
filled to capacity.

Oh, and yes, I do in fact have a patch for the quota
issues - it's called FreeBSD 4.x.

This ridicule is _well deserved_.