please help - explanation for odd fsck times/behavior needed

Ensel Sharon user at dhp.com
Tue Mar 14 17:09:35 UTC 2006

On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, Eric Anderson wrote:

> Dag-Erling Sm=F8rgrav wrote:
> > Eric Anderson <anderson at centtech.com> writes:
> >  =20
> >> Ok, thanks for the insight.  Someone with a commit wand should wave
> >> it over fsck(8):
> >>    =20
> >
> > No, the man page is correct.  There's just no point in using more than
> > two passes unless you have so little memory that fsck starts swapping.
> > You'll notice that sysinstall puts everything except / in pass 2 in
> > the fstab it generates when you install.
> >  =20
>=20
> Or you have such large partitions, that you need the entire amount of=20
> memory to fsck a single filesystem at all.=20

Funny you should mention it, because you don't even need a large partition
to do that ... my 400 gigabyte partition (sorry folks, 400 GB is _not_
large) requires this:

add the line:  kern.maxdsiz=3D"1024000000"  to /boot/loader.conf

So anyway, not only are passes > 2 possibly useful, you don't even need a
big partition to have them be possibly useful ...