Journaling UFS with gjournal.

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 23 17:13:09 UTC 2006

--- Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
> R. B. Riddick <arne_woerner at yahoo.com> wrote:
>  > Depends:
>  > If your existing file system needs its last sector,
>  > then it wont work. If it does not need it, then it
>  > might work (although fsck does not check for a
>  > raw-device shrinkage - I think)...
>
> It has no way to check it.

Hmm... Maybe it is not so interesting, but I wish fsck could say, if the
partition in question is as big as it was when newfs built the file system...

> file, and fsck(8) has no way to notice that, of course.

fsck could not even read the last sector of the former file system, because
gjournal took it away... Or doesn't it?

> If that sector happens to contain UFS meta data, fsck(8)
> might detect the corruption and try to correct it, which
> will destroy the gjournal meta data.

I think write access to that sector is not possible.
Furthermore the device that is handed to fsck does not contain that meta data
sector... At least I hope, that it is like that with my geom_mirror and
geom_stripe discs... ;-)

-Arne