HELP! Filesystem EMPTY after upgrade from 4.11 to 6.1

Sven Hazejager sven.hazejager at gmail.com
Wed Jun 21 20:06:43 UTC 2006

Hi all!

I have quite a big problem here....

I've upgraded my FreeBSD 4.11 to 6.1. Basically, I did a newfs of / and /usr
and reinstalled from scratch. That worked.

Rebooted in 6.1 single user mode, mounted /, /usr and /usr/home. The latter
I did not touch and I need to save that partition. /usr/home had all the
files it needed to have. PROBLEM: mount said soft-updates were not set on
/usr/home. So I did umount /usr/home, tunefs -n enable /usr/home, mount
/usr/home again... EMPTY!!!!

What has gone wrong? I did fsck (in read-only), no problems, rebooted the
system, did tunefs -n disable, still no luck. I really need those files
guys...

Please help urgently.

Many thanks,

Sven Hazejager