[gvinum] add a disk in concat mode

R. B. Riddick arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 10 21:06:21 UTC 2006

Hi!

I just crashed my box with the kernel module "geom_vinum". Now I remember
better again, why I do not use geom_vinum but geom_mirror and geom_stripe...
:-))

Did you try to use geom_concat instead of geom_vinum?
Maybe it even works with some luck, when u do it like this:

0. Back up your file system on /dev/ad0... ;-))

1. Back up the last sector of your /dev/ad0 (because: it could contain
important file system data) to /dev/ad2 (first sector *nudge* *nudge*). :-)
When we concat later, everything would be as before...

2. Do it like the man page (gconcat(8)) explains it (but without the newfs
command):
           gconcat label data /dev/da0 /dev/da2
           growfs /dev/concat/data

3. tahdah...! ;-))

Maybe you should try to get rid of geom_vinum before you do it, so that
geom_vinum cannot interfere with geom_concat...

I wish u good luck! ;-)

Bye
Arne