Problem with ufs not releasing vm_pages on busy volume.

Q qdolan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 10:10:14 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a problem that seems to be related to something ufs related
not releasing some vm_pages on busy filesystems. I have two servers
running PostgreSQL, one running 6.0-RELEASE, the other 6.1-RELEASE.
Both are under the same (fairly heavy) load, performing the same
operations in bursts every five minutes. The filesystems in question
are 450-500Gig, each server using a different brand of RAID card,
they both have soft-updates enabled.

The problem is that both servers are seeing an accumulation of about
100Mb of active pages per day (looking at vm.stats.vm.v_active_count)
that never get released. The only way to release these pages is to
unmount the filesystem and remount it. Failing to do this results in
the server eventually locking up.

If someone could provide me with some direction on how to go about
tracking down what might be causing this to happen it would be much
appreciated.

--
Seeya...Q

                           _____  /  Quinton Dolan - qdolan at gmail.com
      /    __  /   _/    /      /        Gold Coast, QLD, Australia
   __/  __/ __/ ____/   /   -  /            Ph: +61 419 729 806
                             _\