UFS2 and FreeBSD’s apparent 2 terabyte logical volume limit

john john at 1100tech.com
Mon Sep 12 10:57:36 PDT 2005

Good afternoon
	I seem to have run into a problem with UFS2/gvinum/FreeBSD 5.4/various disk
utilities – try as I might I can’t create anything larger than 2
terabytes.

I think I must be missing something, because I have a hard time believing
FreeBSD still has this limit after going through and fixing the 1 terabyte
limit with UFS1.  Large disks are getting very cheap putting 2 TB in a lot
of people’s hands, so if this hasn’t been fixed until now, does anyone
know of a timetable for when it will be fixed? Is anyone actively working on
this project?  I’d really rather not use Linux, but at least it supports
2+ TB easily.  What am I doing wrong or what’s the secret?

~John