disklabel recovery

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Sun Oct 30 05:53:50 PST 2005

Arne Wörner, the prominent pundit, on Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 05:06
while half mumbling, half-witicized:

> --- Gal Ben-Haim <gbenhaim at gmail.com> wrote:
> > meanwhile I did a 'dd' image of the drive to a network drive and
> > formatted the hd, I needed the system up again.
> >
> > what can I do with that 'dd' image in order to restore atleast
> > some of the data on that drive ?
> >
> 1. You could just dd the image back to the freshly sliced disc and
> then do a "fsck -f" (forced check even if it is marked clean).

> 2. You could try to fsck the image via
> # mdconfig -a -t vnode -f <network image>
> # fsck -f /dev/md<unit number>
> # mount /dev/md<unit number> /mnt
> # ls /mnt/.

If the data is important he might try 'lazarus' from TCT - The
Coroners Toolkit.  But it can be tedious.  It examines the drive
and tried to determine what is data, and then puts it in small
files.

'TCT' also comes with a program called 'unrm' but that works on a
drive that has a FS intact, as 'unrm' is similar to 'dd' but only
copies block that aren't allocated.

You wind up with thousands of files.  It has an HTML mode so that
you can examine the found data with a brower.

I'd try this only as last resort and only if the files are that
important, becaus as I said above, it is tedious.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com