disklabel recovery

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 29 13:40:19 PDT 2005

--- Gal Ben-Haim <gbenhaim at gmail.com> wrote:
> fdisk shows the partition properly (1 partition of the entire
> disk).

That is expected, because the partition table should be outside
the partitions...

> I need to rebuild the disklabel from scratch somehow, it was
> only one partition on one slice.
> I have the old layout written..

Ok...

Then I would copy the damaged slice to another filesystem.
e. g.:
# dd if=/dev/ad2s1 of=/root/shoot.img

Then I would do a fsck
e. g.:
# fsck /dev/ad2s1a

The fsck should make the file system usable again.
BUT: FSCK IS QUITE RUDE POSSIBLY... Some filenames might be lost,
so that there will be some files in /lost+found (as far as I
understood that procedure).

-Arne