Global / Cluster / Shared filesystem for FreeBSD?

Tillman Hodgson tillman at seekingfire.com
Fri Mar 11 13:15:51 PST 2005

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 01:53:13PM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> >
> >If you've got money to throw at the problem, you could throw it
> >at OpenAFS...  :-)
> >
> >http://www.usenix.org/about/openafs/
> >
> >However, usenix still haven't gotten back to me about whether I
> >could earmark my donations for OpenAFS on *specific* platforms...

If they do, please let us know. I'd definitely toss in the equivalent of
a couple of steak dinners (personally, not "corporately").

As the recent discussions on the SAGE mailing list (and elsewhere) have
brought up, we're going to need either AFS or NFSv4 (client *and*
server) or an equivalent in the near future to be able to meet newer and
more stringent security policies. As a Unix and security consultant,
solutions that address that on FreeBSD are a topic of interest to me :-)

> I think if I knew it was going to FreeBSD work, I could swing that.  I'm
> all for helping out a project like that, but in this case, I really need a
> result I can use in FreeBSD, not linux.  If I needed it in linux, I'd just
> use GFS in it's current state :)
>
> Thanks for the link..

Yes, thanks for the link Garance.

-T

--
Lonny:   "What's that command to add something to SysV init?"
Tillman: "c h k tab tab"