NFS troubles

Timur Nasyrov itabox at yandex.ru
Wed Jun 15 09:08:37 GMT 2005

Hello,

I am a newbie in the FreeBSD so if my question is dummy, please
forgive me.

I’m trying to establish NFS communication between two FreeBSD boxes
(5.3 Release and 4.10 Release). After mounting shared resource I try
to copy some data into nfs-mounted point.

And one strange thing is noticed – my files on the nfs-mounted folder
have as owner "-2" but as group have "wheel". When I trying to use a
file manager (Midnight Commander) to copy data from local drive to
nfs-mounted point I receive an error-message: "Cannot chown target
file "file_name" Operation not permitted". Even though the file itself
is copied with "-2:wheel" UID/GID.

What is wrong?

Thank you in advance!

--