Interesting book on filesystems

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Fri Jun 10 16:21:01 GMT 2005

Allan Fields wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 09:14:24PM -0500, Eric Anderson wrote:
>
>>I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but just in case it hasn't:
>>
>>http://www.nobius.org/~dbg/
>>
>>Has a pdf of a "Practical File System Design..." book and a "File System
>> Construction Kit".  I'm going to download and play with the kit - not
>>sure if will work without too much trouble on FreeBSD.
>>
>>Eric
>

> I downloaded and read this one as well.  For a while I was looking
> in the stores, but it went out of fashion.  Thanks to the author
> for putting it online.
>
> The idea behind BFS's extended attributes in the inode is different
> than the UFS 2 implementation, are you interested in seeing any
> further enhancements to file systems under BSD?.

I mentioned on the -current list that I'd *love* to have a clustered
filesystem under FreeBSD.  I think it's the future of filesystems, much
as journaling is becoming prevalent today.

> One idea floated was adding journalling and/or transactions to UFS.
> Then there is also the issue of cache coherency.

Scott Long is currently working on adding journaling to UFS.  I think
he's making good progress.

> Another, is to start adding semantic enhancements to the file
> system.  In talking with Marshall Kirk McKusick, the prefered
> approach from a BSD perspective might be incremental addition
> of features in a way that will render UFS workable and w/o
> the likelihood of data loss/corruption much like the dirhash
> implementation.

Seems like filesystem innovation is not so popular these days, but I
think with a little brainstorming some creative individuals could come
up with some very powerful and unique solutions to problems we are just
used to dealing with..

Eric