How to enable ACLs on /?

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 28 11:44:40 PST 2005

On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 11:18:18PM +0100, Frank J. Beckmann wrote:
+> Hi,
+>
+> maybe it ist a faq, but I didn't find it in the list archive. How do I enable
+> ACLs on / in FreeBSD 5.3? I tried to boot into single user mode and did
+> tunefs -a enable /dev/ad4s2a and ACLs are enabled. But they are not enabled
+> anymore as soon as I mount /. But as long as / is not mounted, the ACLs show
+> to be enabled.

There was a bug, which I fixed in -CURRENT, it will be MFCed soon.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_vfsops.c?rev=1.269&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_vfsops.c.diff?r1=1.268&r2=1.269

Temporary you can add 'acls' option for root file system into your
/etc/fstab.