ufs+softupdates / consistency

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 27 16:06:42 PST 2005

I would like to add, that I just tried my little performance test
with KNOPPIX and fsync/openO_SYNC in a little C program.

The results were even better (just about 3 seconds for 1000 64k
blocks). With dd and the sync call it was about 6 seconds (btw.:
Linux's sync waits until the harddisc acknowledged the write order
requests).

Since Linux's time command said, that the process was waiting for
90% of its alive-time, I believe, that the kernel was idle, too,
because
1. sending the write order request is done quite quickly (I
think),
and
2. most of the time hard disc is busy with re-educating the
magnetic layer of its discs without talking to the kernel,
so that I do not fully understand the argument, that we should
write just little chunks of data to the disc (is it because
concurrent read/write requests (e. g.: a user process, that wants
to read something, while the kernel syncs 64MB as soon as
possible) might be delayed?).

I would be glad, if somebody could tell me, if there is any work
in progress or completed, that allows my old SEAGATE disc to
perform as good as Linux allows it to perform. If not, I would
like to fix the problem.

-Arne Wörner