ufs+softupdates / consistency

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 26 06:00:59 PST 2005

Hi!

On
  http://e2fsprogs.sourceforge.net/ext2intro.html
I found the strings
  "BSD-like synchronous updates"
  "it can cause corruption in the user data" .

On
  http://www.mckusick.com/softdep/
I did not find such a statement.

Are soft updates safe for user data? I do not really understand,
what the first www page means... Maybe they mean, that the new
file size (that would be meta data, I think) is written before the
user data, so that the file contains undetermined data in its
tail.

I would be glad, if somebody tells me, if ufs with soft updates
writes file size and block information after user data writes have
been committed?

Bye
Arne