namei caching of newly created files?

Alfred Perlstein alfred at freebsd.org
Wed Jan 19 21:19:07 PST 2005

One other trick is just a negative cache:

Each in memory directory has a bucket list in it
for power of two up until MAXFILELEN.

If you have to do a scan, just populate the negative
entries.

Then only "fix" the negative entries if you delete something.

Then you'll avoid repeated scans when there's no space.