using mfs of size > 64Mb and system stability

Arne Wörner arne_woerner at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 01:43:49 PST 2005

--- Barath S <barath_yes at yahoo.com.sg> wrote:
> My intention is create a file system in memory of size
> > 128Mb and use that for my application. But, I
> couldn't do that as my system hangs whenever I create
> a mfs of size > 64Mb. I did the following...
>
> a) Configured memory file system of size 128Mb using
> 'mdmfs' command with 'malloc' option. When I tried to
> copy files to this mfs, m/c hanged after copying some
> files.
> b) Then I rebooted by m/c and configured memory file
> system of size 64Mb and this time the copying
> operation was successful
> c) I observed that the system hanged whenever I
> configure a mfs of size > 64Mb and used that mfs
>
> a) Can someone provide me hints on what could be the
> problem ?

I use R5.3. According to the man page mdconfig(8) a md of type
malloc should use "-o reserve", if it is large and to be "filled"
(I think the man page means "filled quickly"):
  "If the -o reserve option is not set, creating and filling
   a large malloc-backed memory disk is a very easy way to
   panic a system."

Maybe that helps?

Did you try type "swap"?

-Arne