dup alloc, please advice

Pavel Merdine freebsd-fs at merdin.com
Mon Jan 3 22:17:30 GMT 2005

Hello ,

Tuesday, January 4, 2005, 12:53:33 AM, you wrote:

>> /kernel: mode = 040700, inum = 12, fs = /somemount
>> /kernel: panic: ffs_valloc: dup alloc
>> /kernel:
>> /kernel: syncing disks... 49 22 8 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7 7
>>
>> It happened just in 10 minutes after fsck.
>>
> Was fsck completed? If yes, what were the log messages/results?
I think, yes.
I cannot provide the result, because I dont write logs. I'll make sure
they are recorded next time.
I use a script like:
/sbin/mount $2 || (/sbin/fsck -y $2 && /sbin/mount $2)
to mount data disks.

>> What should I do in such situations?
>>
> Have you tried:
> 1. Booting to single user mode and doing a "fsck /somemount"
> manually (I would like to see the results).
> 2. Halting the system gracefully (with halt or so)
> 3. Mounting just clean file systems (no -f or so; no soft updates
> (just for the beginning))
That is a production machine, so I cant experiment with it. It mounts
all disks automatically thru the script.
The machine just halted when I tried to do umount -f on disk that was
using 100% according to systat. After that the machine gone thru usual
boot and checked most of data disks. In 10 minutes after that it
panicked due to error on another disk (not the one I tried to umount).
"Failty" disk was unmounted.

>> FreeBSD 4.10-STABLE #0: Mon Jul 26 05:46:38 EDT 2004
>>
>> By the way, sometimes I also get
>> /kernel: ufs_rename: fvp == tvp (can't happen)
>> in logs.
>>
> Might be an old inconsistency, too (if I remember right, you were
> the one, who liked to mount unclean fs :-)) ).

Maybe you write. But now I dont mount with -f. Dont say I cant to
umount -f :)
It's not about me liking -f. There should be some documentation saying
about proper use of softupdates and ide write cache. It's not always
clear even from the sources.

--
/ Pavel Merdine