Swap problem on FreeBSD 5.2.1-RC

David Schultz das at FreeBSD.ORG
Tue Feb 8 14:37:30 PST 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005, Marco Pizzi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We've installed (a long time ago) the FreeBSD version 5.2.1-RC on a server.
> We've noticed, at least two times, very bad problems on the swap system; in
> the
> detail, we've found the well known error in the messages file:
>
> swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: da0s1a
>
> The fact strange is that the da0s1a device is not a swap partition!

> # Device                Mountpoint      FStype  Options         Dump
> Pass#
> /dev/da0s1b            none            swap    sw              0       0
> /dev/da0s1a             /               ufs     rw              1       1

As Kris mentioned, this warning means that an I/O took too long,
and it usually means you have a failing disk.  As for the fact
that it reported the wrong partition on the disk, Poul-Henning
``fixed'' the problem in -CURRENT by making the warning less
useful.  (It no longer tells you which disk is failing at all.)