XFS (read-only) support committed to CURRENT

Cai, Quanqing caiquanqing at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 13:48:28 PST 2005

On 12/18/05, Matthias Andree <matthias.andree at gmx.de> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Dec 2005, Cai, Quanqing wrote:

> > > That's a compelling reason. Seriously.
> >
> > No offense, you could port ext3 too if you like...
> >
> > My company has 20s nfs servers(6 250G RAID 1 units), currently use
> > SuSE9 w/XFS. I used ext3 on some but got long time fsck headache(Yes,
> > I have data=journal in fstab, but journal will fail under heavy load).
> > So personally I prefer XFS.
>
> Failing journals are either I/O errors (dying hard disk drive) or
> otherwise Linux kernel bugs.  I have not yet seen ext3fs + NFS (or only
> the journals) break under load (SUSE 9.2 and 10.0) for any other reason
> than a broken drive or broken cables. If you have a workload that
> reproduces the problem, report it to SUSE.

No, I don't have time to deal with SuSE regarding failure, the company
I am working for is growing so fast, need to add dozens of servers
every month. After switch to XFS, I seldom get problems, even if I got
problem, I can quickly reboot nfs server because it is using XFS.

> OTOH, it's "only" one Xeon NFS server with 1 70 GB RAID5 and 1 292 GB
> RAID5 (MegaRAID SCSI 320-1 with BBU) with half a dozen users at any one
> time.

Oh, you don't put much load on it. I am using nfs server as storage
server of internet application, so they get very high IO load.

> > BTW, thank Craig Rodrigues, Alexander Kabaev, Russell Cattelan and all
> > others for porting XFS to FreeBSD, it's a good news for community. We
> > need a journal FS on FreeBSD so badly!
>
> :-)
>
> --
> Matthias Andree

Anyway, I am not tend to start a flame war between ext3 and XFS, I
choose ext3 for our MySQL server because MySQL.com suggest me that,
they said ext3 has better performance. Sorry, this is out of topic:(

Cai, Quanqing