filesystem full - freebsd 5.3

t c namondo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 23:48:41 PST 2005

Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> wrote:
:  t c < namondo at gmail.com> wrote:
:   > I've got the following error messages in dmesg.today, but there are
lots
:   > inodes (and free space) on that partition (/home):
:   >
:   > pid 50371 (rateup), uid 0 inumber 1130885 on /home: filesystem full
:   > pid 42486 (httpd), uid 80 inumber 1059960 on /home: filesystem full
:   > pid 50614 (virtual), uid 1004 inumber 966735 on /home: filesystem full
:   > (many times each row...)
:  [...]
:  Usually, when there are messages reporting that the file
:  system is full, it really _is_ full at that time.
:  In theory there could be some inconsistencies or other
:  damage of the filesystem, but in that case you should also
:  get other error messages.  If you want to be sure, umount
:  the file system and fsck it.  I bet there will be no
:  errors.

  Perhaps more likely, he was trying to allocate full-size blocks, and
  the only things available were fragments.  The output from df doesn't
  distinguish between the two types of available space.  You can use
  dumpfs(8) to do that.

       Dworkin

This version seems more likely for me. Unfortunatly I can't read the output
of dumpfs. I tried to post, but my message was 'moderated', so I put that
output on this page:
http://dumpfs.szellem.org

ct