panic again

Pavel Merdine freebsd-fs at merdin.com
Wed Oct 27 02:24:24 PDT 2004

Hello ,

Wednesday, October 27, 2004, 12:25:33 AM, you wrote:

> On 26 Oct, Pavel Merdine wrote:

>> Again, somehow after a panic on ONE file system, other filesystems are
>> not fully synced. The system conplaints that they are dirty after
>> restart. So it seems like one panic lead to corruption of another
>> systems. Maybe I'm wrong here too. But I dont see any good in fsck-ing
>> each time.

> When the OS detects these types of problems, then something (we don't
> know what) unexpected has happened, so we can no longer trust the state
> of the machine.  If we can't trust the state of the machine, then it is
> dangerous to sync any of the file systems, because doing so could damage
> them with corrupt data.

I'm  right  then.  Number  of  panic()s  should  be  minimum.  Because
currently  one  error  in  one  partition leads to corruption of other
immediately  (providing  they  do  writes  often). I think that is not
acceptable. I just didn't make fsck, don't shoot me!

>> Background fsck does not work in reality as well, because the system
>> can panic thousand times before errors are fixed.

> It might be a good idea to force a foreground fsck if the system panics
> before a background fsck has marked a dirty filesystem clean.

What I mean is there is no point having background fsck which can lead
to  corruption  of  all  system  partitions. Explanation: there is not
guarantee  that  panic  will not occur before fsck is done; that panic
leads  to  reboot  without  other  filesystems sync, so it'll lead the
their corruption.

--
/ Pavel Merdine