shfs port?

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Wed May 26 15:01:26 PDT 2004

On Tue, 25 May 2004, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 12:08:37PM +0200, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> > "Miles Lubin" <miles at lubin.us> wrote:
> > > The shfs linux kernel module (http://shfs.sourceforge.net/) looks like it
> > would be useful,
> > > anyone interested in leading the porting of it? I would gladly help, but I've
> > never ported
> > > anything and dont know the FBSD or Linux kernel well.
> >
> > it would be more simple to supply ssh support to ggated/ggatec under -current :)
>
> GEOM gate and shfs are unrelated.  GEOM gate provides remote access to a
> GEOM (e.g. a disk object).  shfs accesses files remotly via an ssh
> connection much like an ftp file system.  If you wrote an appropriate
> daemon, it should be straight forward to do this via portalfs.  See
> mount_portalfs(8) for more info.

It would actually be tempting to use something like Arla's XFS or the Coda
stubs in the kernel to implement it via a userland daemon, since they make
it a lot easier to write a distributed file system, especially if that
file system transfers only whole files rather than blocks.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research