[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS for FreeBSD 5.2 patch

Adriaan de Groot adridg at sci.kun.nl
Mon Mar 15 15:24:54 PST 2004

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> At 12:24 AM -0500 3/10/04, Garrett Wollman wrote:
> >Once you get enough activity to start to recycle vnodes (and AFS
> >vcache entries) it will probably fall over pretty fast.  Adding
> >WITNESS and DEBUG_VFS_LOCKS may make the bugs more obvious.
>
> I'm building a second machine for stress-testing this (my main
> maachine has too much important data on it).
>
> I also have a freebsd-sparc64 machine.  Should I give this openafs
> a try on that, or should I just stick with the i386 platform?

The main problem will probably be threading libraries (ie. the total lack
of them in openafs for your particular platform). Since OpenAFS uses its
own thread library, that poses an additional portability hurdle for the
system. The word "abomination" was used in conjunction with it recently.
In particular, FreeBSD-amd64 can't do OpenAFS because of the threading
stuff. A port to any of the pthreads libs would be a large task but
probably needs to be done sometime.

[ade], who still hasn't even built his _first_ FBSD-AFS machine, but has
been lurking.