smbfs problems

Oliver Schwarz os at cool.de
Sun Mar 14 16:09:58 PST 2004

I am running smbfs mounts on my FreeBSD 4.8 server, which cause problems
from time to time. It seems that some applications (andromeda, rsync) cant
access these filesystems correctly.

for example this is the error message i get from rsync:
---
rsync error: error in IPC code (code 14) at util.c(162)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(150)
---

btw if i mount the same share via NFS it works.

My guess is that some low-level IO functions are not working with smbfs as
they do with other filesystem types.

Please excuse my poor understanding of the subject and my crude way of
describing the problem. Any help would be very appreciated.

--
Der Ole