bad blocks

ravi pina ravi at cow.org
Sat Mar 6 11:34:32 PST 2004

hi.

my previous problem involved my raid failed.  i managed
to get some data off of it with much help from various
people.  thank you.

now that i've replaced the disk i created a new raid5
and initted the array.  the new fs completed and i started
copying some data to the array.  i got the following
on a rather large copy:

bad block 1216479232, ino 36090065
pid 5 (syncer), uid 1001 on /stuff: bad block
bad block -560005120, ino 36090065
pid 5 (syncer), uid 1001 on /stuff: bad block
bad block 1482424320, ino 36090065
pid 5 (syncer), uid 1001 on /stuff: bad block
bad block 775028736, ino 36090065
pid 5 (syncer), uid 1001 on /stuff: bad block
bad block 1216479232, ino 36090065
pid 5 (syncer), uid 1001 on /stuff: bad block
bad block -598016000, ino 36090065
pid 5 (syncer), uid 1001 on /stuff: bad block
bad block 1482424320, ino 36090065
pid 5 (syncer), uid 1001 on /stuff: bad block
bad block 775028736, ino 36090065
pid 5 (syncer), uid 1001 on /stuff: bad block
bad block 1216479232, ino 36090065
pid 5 (syncer), uid 1001 on /stuff: bad block
handle_workitem_freeblocks: block count

so i now suspect that there is another failed or failing
disk in the array.  what i'd like to do is create 4
JBODs one for each disk and do some verify on them.  does
a utility exist that will verify the media of the disk
and then map out the bad sectors?  it seems that the 3ware
failed to identify any failed blocks on the init.

thanks again,

-r