cvs commit: src/sys/conf NOTES files ...

Garance A Drosihn drosih at rpi.edu
Sat Jul 3 20:55:49 PDT 2004

At 7:09 PM -0700 7/3/04, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>* Tim Robbins <tjr at freebsd.org> [040703 17:41] wrote:
>  > On Sat, Jul 03, 2004, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
>  > > What are the implications of expanding the VFS API to take
>  > > 64bit inodes?
>  >
>  > Widening ino_t to 64 bits would change the layout/size of struct
>  > stat, so we'd have to add a new stat() syscall (as well as fstat(),
>  > lstat()) and add compatibility code for binaries that expect the
>  > old layout. We'd also have to [...]
>  > I think it's something that would be best left until 6-CURRENT.
>
>Bah, we can do it. :)

The implications are that it certainly ain't going to happen as part
of 5.x-stable.  It did come up at the DevSummit (at Usenix) as one
of the projects we expect to tackle for the 6.0-branch.  The people
at the DevSummit were also pretty adamant that we must not take as
long to get to a production-quality 6.x-stable as it has taken to
get to 5.x-stable.

I'll also note that I am hoping to see a 64-bit dev_t happen at
the same time, for the benefit of filesystems like OpenAFS.

...but I am sure all this will all be written up in a more useful
form and with much more detail after everyone gets back from Usenix.
I was only there for Tuesday and Wednesday, while most developers
were there for the whole Usenix conference.  I suspect that
discussions continued after the "official" DevSummit was over.

Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad at freebsd.org
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute    or  drosih at rpi.edu