read-only compressed fs (call for testers) [UPDATE]

Max Khon fjoe at iclub.nsu.ru
Mon Jan 19 20:01:58 PST 2004

Hello!

On Tue, Jan 20, 2004 at 12:29:55AM +0600, Max Khon wrote:

> I have seen some requests for read-only compressed fs support recently.
> Last weekend I had a few spare cycles and implemented GEOM class that
> allows to use cloop V2.0 (compressed loopback device for Linux) fs images.
>
> More details, tarballs with geom_ugz and a port for tools needed
> to create/extract compressed fs images are available at
> http://people.freebsd.org/~fjoe/geom_ugz/
>
> Any feedback is highly appreciated.

I fixed some bugs that were reported to me:
- create_compressed_fs should do padding to 512 bytes boundary
- kernel panic in geom_ugz
and added last uncompressed block caching (which should significantly speed up
geom_ugz especially for large block sizes).

Updated tarballs are available at
http://people.freebsd.org/~fjoe/geom_ugz/

Thanks for your feedback!

/fjoe